[Koha] [Koha-devel] Proposal To Switch Koha's License to GPLv3 and AGPLv3 or AGPLv3

Matthew Butch matt at pennmanor.net
Wed May 12 02:21:30 NZST 2010

On May 9, 2010, at 5:18 PM, Christopher Nighswonger wrote:

> As I see it, the advantage and rational for moving to GPLv3 are
> primarily that GPLv3 is compatible with AGPLv3. This allows us to
> accept work licensed under either of these two licenses.

I don't know if that is true. From what I understand you can't mix GPLv3 and AGPLv3 code. You can link to libraries that are compiled with GPLv3 in AGPLv3 (or vice versa), but the code can't be mixed in the same code base. And AGPLv3 does not allow linked of GPLv2 libraries.

Given these difficulties, I'd much rather stay with GPLv2.

-Matt

--

Matthew Butch
Technology Support Analyst