[Koha] Proposal To Switch Koha's License to GPLv3 and AGPLv3 or AGPLv3

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Tue May 11 12:29:19 NZST 2010

On Mon, 10 May 2010, Chris Nighswonger wrote:

> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 1:25 PM, <david at lang.hm> wrote:
>
>> As for moving from GPLv2 to GPLv3, what is the reason for making the move?
>> is there code that you want to merge (either way) with a GPLv3 project?
>>

> Please read my original proposal for the reasoning behind the move.

I've gone back and dug it up from the archives.

What is the code that you want to merge that is under the AGPL?

>> It's already been posted that you use code from a GPLv2 project, so you
>> would have to get that project to move to GPLv3 (or 2+) to continue using
>> their code.
>>

> Koha is currently licensed under GPLv2 or later with the exception of
> OpenNCIP. This is not a blocker, but rather a "bug" to be "fixed." There are
> no show-stoppers to the  move to GPLv3/AGPLv3.

If this is the case, all you need to do is to eliminate any GPLv2 code and
merge one piece of AGPL code and the result can only be distributed under
the AGPL.

This will de-facto change the code from the current GPLv2 license (due to
the inclusion of GPLv2 only code) to AGPLv3 (due to the inclusion of
AGPLv3 only of AGPLv3+ code)

If this is the reason, then you are really not considering GPLv3 as a
license.

>> Is the code that you will get from moving to GPLv3 worth the loss of the
>> code that you currently get from GPLv2?
>>

> We will loose know code afaik in such a move. Please cite examples.

Others have posted some existing GPLv2 code that would need to be
replaced.