[Koha] Available items limiter: No Result found ! - CommonProblem

Kurt Bodling kbodling at mountvernon.org
Tue May 11 05:29:46 NZST 2010

>Also also, perhaps it would be good to distinguish between available for checkout vs. available for use.  For libraries with large non-circulating collections, this distinction becomes increasingly important.

This was a concern at our place, too. Since I’m not (yet) a coder, I came up with a kind of workaround that works because the 952 $y displays in the OPAC field labeled “Item type” and the 942 $c controls what appears in the OPAC field labeled “Status” (which I had to discover by trial-and-error since I didn’t see it in any documentation).  Here’s how we handled it:

We have an Item Type called “Books”.  And another Item Type called “Book (Non-Circulating)”.  Only the second one was created to be “Not for Loan.”

When I create a Bib Record for a book I make sure that the Item Type in the 942 $c is “Book”.

If the copy is meant to be ‘available for checkout’ then the Item Type in the Item Record 952 $y is also “Book”.

The OPAC then shows the user: ‘Item Type’ “Book” and ‘Status’ “Available”.

BUT if the copy is meant only to be ‘available for use’ [e.g., a reference room copy], then the Item Record 952 $y is “Book (Non-Circulating)”.

In that case, the OPAC displays for the user: ‘Item Type’ “Book (Non-Circulating)” and ‘Status’ “Available”.

This gets the words “non-circulating” before our users, but tells them it IS available [for use]; and because the “Book (Non-Circulating)” type is created to be Not for Loan, our circulation system won’t let these reference copies be checked out as it otherwise would.  This has been helpful when we have one copy of an item in open stacks and another copy in reference.

Kurt Bodling

George Washington’s Mount Vernon Estate and Gardens