[Koha] Registering as a support provider at koha-community.org

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue May 11 05:05:11 NZST 2010

Ian Walls wrote: [...]
> The current proposal is for our Support Companies page to list *every
> company claiming (with some level of verifiability) to offer Koha services*.
>  Thus, the purpose of the page is to simply be a list of all the potential
> possibilities for a Koha support company, with no quality judgement of any
> kind placed on the companies.  Getting listed only requires the verification
> of a simple fact.
>
> The difficulty comes with the possibility of a company offering Koha
> services that are not in the spirit of the community. [...]

This is much simpler than looking for services "in the spirit".  It is
a verifiable fact whether a company owns a domain or trademark, it is
a verifiable fact whether that has been offered to HLT or another
community group to manage and it is a verifiable fact whether legal
proceedings over Koha have been entered and not resolved.  No judge
required and the informal appeals process suggested for other
delistings would be fine.

Please don't overreact to the LibLime approach by dismantling all
quality control on the community website.  This is not the old
'you are cool' test.  It is a simpler, factual solidarity test.
Couldn't we adopt this, please?

Thanks to wizzyrea for the link to the developer meeting.  I'm
surprised that it was put to developers and not the community one, not
that we made either of them this month (first time in a while). :-/

About 28 people were in the meeting.  About 7 voted for "boil the list
down to one question: does the vendor offer Koha services of any
kind", 0 abstained, 0 against.  Why such a low turnout?  Low support
or fatigue?  Moreover, I think one voter had a conflict of interest
because they have influence over a private koha domain.

I also see that about 6 voted for link-back, 1 abstained, 1 against.
Why do we seem to be adopting one-question but not link-back?

> If I may offer a third position for discussion:  what if the community were
> to define a discrete list of potential Koha services that a company can
> offer to be listed?

I hope that could come in technical upgrades to the listings page,
but it seem independent of whether to list a company or not.

Hope that explains,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  Webmaster and LMS developer at     | software