[Koha] Koha 3 very slow and cannot place hold

Marty ontariowolf64 at yahoo.com
Mon May 3 06:39:50 NZST 2010

I don't know if anybody else has this issue, but my librarians are all complaining about the speed of Koha 3. If we enter the name of a patron it takes a minimum of 6 seconds for that person to appear on screen, or people with similar names. Actually, these 6 seconds seem to be needed for almost any operation. Queries straight in mysql are almost instantaneous.
It is much, much slower than Koha 2.2.9. We are running Debian Lenny, Koha 3.00.05 with Zebra on a Pentium 4 box. Any ideas to make it faster? Would it be a hardware issue?

The other thing is that it won't place holds. I can click on "place a hold" and then it sits there forever, doing nothing.
The funny thing is that on a parallel system (on a Pentium 3) it works fine, even from a backup made from the Pentium 4 box, with the --add-drop-table option. Am I missing something?

Marty