[Koha] Embed ebook and video

Weinheimer Jim j.weinheimer at aur.edu
Tue Mar 23 00:01:41 NZDT 2010

Hi,

It's simple enough. Just put the embed into the part of the field that displays.

For example, I am using 856 $3 as a display field in the catalog. Therefore, say I want to catalog one of the really famous, horrible old, Monster-movies: "The Brain that Wouldn't Die" which is available in its entirety on Google Video at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6660611491774828467. I would make a record and then:

Look for the embed code in the Google Video page above, in this case:
<embed id=VideoPlayback src=http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=6660611491774828467&hl=en&fs=true style=width:400px;height:326px allowFullScreen=true allowScriptAccess=always type=application/x-shockwave-flash> </embed>

and put this coding into the 856$3 field.

You don't need to understand this coding, just copy and paste.

You can do this with other embedded resources, as I did with the Caesar's Column example below using Issuu. I made a pdf and added it to Issuu. You can do the same with Scribd. Once it is there, you can take the code as well, e.g. at random:
http://issuu.com/stylesamplemagazine/docs/stylesamplemag_6

click on "embed"

and copy and paste the code into your record. As you see, you don't need a separate 856$u.

There is almost no end to what you can embed, powerpoints, flash movies, pdfs, etc.

The problem is that when you do this, the searcher goes straight to the resource and misses the page with the metadata. I don't know what's better.

James Weinheimer  j.weinheimer at aur.edu<mailto:j.weinheimer at aur.edu>
Director of Library and Information Services
The American University of Rome
via Pietro Roselli, 4
00153 Rome, Italy
voice- 011 39 06 58330919 ext. 258