[Koha] wiki.koha-community.org

Frederic Demians frederic at tamil.fr
Sat Mar 6 21:43:58 NZDT 2010

Thanks for your proposal.

> * a backup of the wiki's data and files will be done nightly and the
> tarball made available for anybody to download.

If you agree, I propose to mirror daily the wiki via rsync.

> * Do we want to take this opportunity to switch to MediaWiki (or
> $some_other_wiki), which can manage multiple languages better than
> DokuWiki?

DokuWiki manual seems to prove that DokuWiki handles pretty well
multilingual content:

    http://www.dokuwiki.org/manual

> I'm personally open to any suggestion, but I'm happy to install the
> current version of DokuWiki and upgrade to MediaWiki or something else
> later.

 From my perspective DokuWiki has the advantage over MediaWiki to be
lighter, and to store its content in plain text files rather than MySQL.
There is also in DokuWiki the concept of 'namespace' which is
interesting and that Thomas Dukleth has began to use (maybe also
available in MediaWiki).

> * Do we want to start the wiki's content from scratch? That would
> allow us start fresh with a clean organization of the information, and
> would also allow us to establish the GPL as the license for the new
> wiki from the get-go.

+1

What about putting on this wiki parts of the Koha documentation itself,
like tutorials, howtos, videos materials? It would be much easier to add
content than with Docbook current format, and facilitate contributions.
With ACL, portions of this doc could even be locked in if necessary.

Clearly the key will be how Thomas will succeed in organizing
meaningfully the new wiki content!

--
Frédéric