[Koha] wiki.koha-community.org

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Sat Mar 6 11:09:45 NZDT 2010

Hi,

I am making a proposal for Equinox to host the new koha-community.org wiki.  We will provide a virtual machine, bandwidth, backups, and system administration.  Shell access and wiki administration access will be given to anybody who expresses a desire to help and who is known to me or another Koha project regular, though I reserve the right to boot anybody off in the unlikely event of abuse (i.e., spamming, destructive activity, attempts at network intrusion, or other anti-social behavior).  As with the current wiki, anybody in the world will be able to create an account for themselves to edit the wiki.

Thomas Dukleth has offered to work on the wiki, so he will be one of the people who has shell and wiki admin access to start.  Email me if you want in on the fun.

As part of our hosting proposal, I will do the following to ensure continuity of this wiki:

* a backup of the wiki's data and files will be done nightly and the tarball made available for anybody to download.
* if the wiki moves to a new host in the future, we will give the new host a copy of the Ganeti image of the VM

Thomas has some ideas about the content and organization of the wiki, which I'll leave to him to propose, but I see a couple questions that may be worth answering first:

* Do we want to take this opportunity to switch to MediaWiki (or $some_other_wiki), which can manage multiple languages better than DokuWiki?  I'm personally open to any suggestion, but I'm happy to install the current version of DokuWiki and upgrade to MediaWiki or something else later.

* Do we want to start the wiki's content from scratch?  That would allow us start fresh with a clean organization of the information, and would also allow us to establish the GPL as the license for the new wiki from the get-go.

I'd appreciate feedback on those questions and general feedback about the proposal.  The VM should be up soon.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton