[Koha] Koha-Community Site & Press Releases

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Sat Mar 6 06:07:16 NZDT 2010

Owen Leonard <oleonard at myacpl.org>
> >> I strongly think companies must be at a second level and all being
> >> equally presented, as they are now. But I also strongly think that
> >> companies activity is a big + for the project itself.
> >
> > I disagree.  We are not all being equally presented yet;
>
> In what way are we not being equally presented yet?

One example is that the paid for support listing is now back to
alphabetical, which usually almos no-one wants.  Great for Anant and
BibLibre - bad for software.coop and Tamil.

Thomas Dukleth suggested making the primary listing user-sortable some
time ago in
http://old.nabble.com/-Koha-announce--Announcing-...-New-koha.org-Website-based-on-Plone-td23434214.html#a23447686
I know it's possible with Wordpress in several ways (I'm sure it was
with Plone too - I just didn't know how).  I've taken that up again on
IRC and we'll see what comes.

> I think the vendor news is interesting and useful. I like the fact
> that a library evaluating Koha and looking for a support company can
> look at the news and directly contact a library using that company.
> That gives the customer more freedom and potentially more accurate
> information over the option of only contacting references provided by
> the company.

That's fine, but none of it requires press releases to be reposted on
the koha-community site.

Also, it's only coming from vendors and vendors usually aren't going
to issue a press release saying it's all gone wrong with a client, are
they?  In fact, I've seen some vendor agreements (non-Koha) specify
that clients can't discuss certain things (shall we say challenges?),
in public.  Either way, I don't think it's a great info source for
libraries.

Hope that explains,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  Webmaster and LMS developer at     | software