[Koha] Koha-Community Site & Press Releases

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Sat Mar 6 02:01:53 NZDT 2010

Paul Poulain <paul.poulain at biblibre.com>
> Le 05/03/2010 12:11, MJ Ray a écrit :
> > Personally, I think it should be irrelevant to those seeking a vendor
> > too.  If a vendor needs to should that loudly about what contracts
> > they're signing, rather than reporting afterwards in journal articles
> > and so on, then something seems a bit wrong to me.  "X signed Y" is
> > not clear news - it might just mean X's sales/negotiators are good.
> >
> yes and no: I think it's important for someone to know that a french
> university has choosen Koha and BibLibre. If you're a university, you
> may find this information usefull.

That's a special case - in my experience, the main reason educational
institutions find such information useful is because many of them have
anti-competitive restrictions on procurement, such as a requirement
that institutions should prefer a system already used by N other
similar institutions.  Of course, that means that new options can only
enter the market in secret or in a flagship project!

I acknowledge that such needs do exist, but I say they should not!

> And if you investigate to choose or not koha: important to see it's a
> project heavily supported by companies.

Doesn't http://koha-community.org/support/paid-support/ and support
company own sites do that?

I worry that posting overt company points of view directly on the site
make it look more like a trade mag and less like a community.

> I strongly think companies must be at a second level and all being
> equally presented, as they are now. But I also strongly think that
> companies activity is a big + for the project itself.

I disagree.  We are not all being equally presented yet; and such
articles should be on a company's own sites and only linked from the
community site.  It should not be a source of free ads for vendors!

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  Webmaster and LMS developer at     | software