[Koha] Koha releases

Nicole Engard nengard at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 03:17:16 NZST 2010

2010/7/2 Lori Bowen Ayre <lori.ayre at galecia.com>:

> contracts with customers.  Then, when customers insist on developing huge
> blocks of code (multiple new features), they will know what that means --- a
> much bigger cost to them because of the gargantuan effort involved in
> getting their final product back into the community version.

I agree with what everyone before me has said, the process is in
place, it has been in place for years and has worked pretty darn well.
 What I want us all to agree on here and now is that there is no
"community version" - there is Koha.  Koha is the official release of
the software and it is developed by a community of developers and
users worldwide, but it's not the "community version" versus "those
other versions" - it's Koha and "not yet Koha"  ("not yet" because the
code hasn't been integrated into the official product yet).

I think this is part of why users/librarians are so confused.  They
are told there is a "community version" and then a "version from your
vendor" implying that one is better than and one is less than.  The
fact is that it's all software that serves a purpose and I won't
debate which is better - I just don't really want to talk about the
official version of the software - Koha - as the "community version"
anymore.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks
Nicole C. Engard