[Koha] 5-digit order numbers

Colin Campbell colin.campbell at ptfs-europe.com
Thu Jan 28 22:30:33 NZDT 2010

On 27/01/10 14:38, Kohn, Karen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if there is a way to make the order numbers start over
> with each basket, so they’d go “1,2,3…” Currently our orders are
> numbered continuously across the baskets, and all the order numbers are
> 5 digits long. Even if you don’t know how to change this, could you tell
> us if your order numbering works differently from ours? That way I’ll
> know it’s at least possible.
The order number is a sequential system assigned number, as it is a
global id and it has to be unique in the system they can't restart in
each basket.
I know many libraries want more meaningful order numbers. I've done a
change for one library where we generate a purchase order number in a
fixed format with a prefix reflecting order type and a suffix and have
made these searchable.
On the "when time permits" list I was envisoning generalizing this,
allowing the library to set a template for the system's PO numbers, that
might go some way to addressing this.
There will be a difference with the changes biblibre have contributed to
3.2 acquisitions. My impression from looking at some of the new screens
is that the order number is much less prominent in the display of the
basket than previously.

Cheers
Colin

--