[Koha] Database Upgrade Problem

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Tue Jan 26 05:52:17 NZDT 2010

Hello All,

I'm helping a small library with their Koha installation, and I'm having
trouble with the database.

We initially set up Koha (2.2 I believe) a couple years ago on Ubuntu
7.04.  The machine recently ran out of disk space, which resulted in a
truncated SQL database.  The Koha installation also appears to be
mangled.  Fortunately we do have backups of the database.  But rather
than attempting to repair the old server, we have decided to do a fresh
install on newly donated hardware with Ubuntu 8.04 and Koha 3.00.02.

I have Koha running on the new machine, but I seem to be having trouble
importing and converting the old database.  I'm fairly certain that the
version of the old database I'm trying to use is pre-disk space
calamity.  It appears to be 38 megabytes of good SQL, though I'm no
expert on SQL.  (We're using MySQL.)  I've imported it with webmin
(though I'm not afraid of the shell if there's any reason to suspect
webmin of foul play) and run the Perl script to update from 2.2, and
then the other update script.  Everything appears OK, but when I go to
search for anything -- author, title, or anything else -- there are
always no results found.

I'm pretty sure Koha is using the right database because it is named
differently from the default, and that name is reflected in the Koha web
interface.  I have re-exported the converted database, and all the data
appear to be there, though I can't say just by looking at it that it's
in the form it needs to be in for Koha to make sense of it.

They're getting pretty desperate to get something up and running again,
so I may try to repair the old server anyway as a stop gap.  But is
there something obvious I have missed in converting the database from
2.2 to 3.00.02?  Is there a way I can tell whether the database has all
the right tables for Koha 3?

Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Joel Ewy