[Koha] Users and developers (was KUDOS - ALA Proposed Agenda)

MJ Ray mjr at software.coop
Fri Jan 22 00:58:21 NZDT 2010

Nicole Engard <nengard at gmail.com>
> This seems to me like we're mixing organizations.  KUDOS is a users
> group for pooling funding and having a place for users in the US to
> talk to each other - I assume.  The future Koha Foundation (whatever
> it's name) will be the entity to hold and register the trademarks for
> the worldwide community.

If KUDOS is a users group for pooling funding, it seems more like a
user cooperative is wanted, in which case I think it's going to be
difficult to be a 501c3 and it's misnamed.

If it's some sort of Koha business league for users and developers -
is that a 501c6?

As it seems to be heading for a 501c3, KUDOS seems like a general
promotion of Koha for the good of society that should be open to all.

Maybe those who want a users group for pooling funding should look
to set up a user cooperative alongside KUDOS, rather than try to
bend a charity into commercial development - you could get help
from http://www.ncba.coop/serv_cbd_cw_mem.cfm
and existing cooperatives.

Hope that helps,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  Webmaster and LMS developer at     | software