[Koha] How do I bulk delete bibliographic records (of one given item type)?

Ricardo Dias Marques lists at ricmarques.net
Thu Jan 7 08:03:38 NZDT 2010

Hi again Nicole and list,

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 17:40, Nicole Engard <nengard at gmail.com> wrote:

> I access the tool via the browser with this URL:
> cgi-bin/koha/tools/batchMod.pl?del=1
>
> So I think that file you pointed to is the right one, but you'd have
> to ask someone from BibLibre - they're the ones who wrote this awesome
> new addition (along with a ton of others)!

Right, thanks. I tried to use this bulk / mass biblio records (and
associated items) deletion tool in Koha 3.0.5, by copying some files
from the "master" branch to my Koha 3.0.5  directories / folders,
namely :

1 - copying "batchMod.pl" - from
http://git.koha.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=Koha;a=blob;f=tools/batchMod.pl;h=84236eaf683e93cf8b2aa4a9eefc9750fb46ea5d;hb=HEAD
- to /koha/koha30xclone/tools

2 - copying "batchMod-del.tmpl" - from
http://git.koha.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=Koha;a=tree;f=koha-tmpl/intranet-tmpl/prog/en/modules/tools;h=ccf3e030675074ba79068978cdd93e32063f73e3;hb=HEAD
- to /koha/koha30xclone/koha-tmpl/intranet-tmpl/prog/en/modules/tools

3 - copying "batchMod.tmpl" - from
http://git.koha.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=Koha;a=blob;f=koha-tmpl/intranet-tmpl/prog/en/modules/tools/batchMod.tmpl;h=71487259343bef37726922c1a9b4ccc8c592b5fc;hb=HEAD
- also to  /koha/koha30xclone/koha-tmpl/intranet-tmpl/prog/en/modules/tools

Then, I tried to access the URL
http://myhost:8080/cgi-bin/koha/tools/batchMod.pl?del=1 that you
suggested and I got a nice web page called "Batch deletion" prompting
me for a "Barcodes file", an "Item Id's file" or a "Barcodes list". I
thought: this is great!

I managed to get the barcodes list that I needed, by running the
following MySQL query for my Koha database (I wanted to delete all
records that have an Item type of "2") :

mysql> select barcode from biblioitems, items where itemtype=2 and
biblioitems.biblionumber = items.biblionumber and
biblioitems.biblioitemnumber = items.biblioitemnumber;

By doing this, I got the list of the barcodes that I needed. I copied
and pasted that list to the "Barcodes list" text area of the "Batch
deletion" web page. I clicked on the "Continue" button, but received
then an error message:

Koha error

The following fatal error has occurred:

Undefined subroutine &main::Item2Marc called at
/koha/koha30xclone/tools/batchMod.pl line 389.

By doing some research, I see that I would need (at least) to change
the "Items.pm" file, in the "C4" Koha 3.0.5 directory, with code that
was added in the "master" branch (and that contains that new
"Item2Marc" function / subroutine). I wish to avoid that, if possible
(because that seems to be touching a more "essential" part of my Koha
installation, and I'm afraid that could cause other problems).

So, let me rephrase my initial question: how do people *currently* do
batch deletions / bulk deletions of bibliographic records (and
associated items), for a given / specific item type, in Koha 3.0.x
(e.g. 3.0.5)?

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Ricardo Dias Marques