[Koha] Map of Koha libraries worldwide

Breeding, Marshall marshall.breeding at Vanderbilt.Edu
Wed Jan 6 05:54:37 NZDT 2010

Agnes,

My goal is to have all libraries using Koha (and other automation systems) represented in lib-web-cats.

In order to show on the map, the entry for the library needs to include the GPS coordinates in its lib-web-cats entry.  These are present for most US libraries.  I have not been able to add coordinates comprehensively for libraries in many other regions.

I'm looking for a web service or some other tool that will reliably convert international addresses to geospatial coordinates.  I could then develop a perl script to populate the missing coordinate data for library entries in lib-web-cats.

If anyone knows of a good approach for this or can share a perl script to accomplish this, I would be very grateful.

Best regards,

-marshall

-----Original Message-----
From: Agnes Rivers-Moore [mailto:arm at hanover.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 10:49 AM
To: Breeding, Marshall
Subject: Re: [Koha] Map of Koha libraries worldwide

Hi Marshall,

Great job!

Just FYI while you are refining it, I notice that of our six consortium
libraries, three appear and three do not. Some variation in the way the
library address is recorded?

Are you taking your map data from the Koha libraries list at
http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=kohausers, or from your own database? I
imagine you are using your own, which is quite probably more
comprehensive for North America, but does not show the South American,
European, Australian, New Zealand etc libraries.

Agnes

Breeding, Marshall wrote:
> Nicole,
>
> This is a great suggestion which is now implemented.
>
> -marshall

Agnes Rivers-Moore
Assistant Librarian
Hanover Public Library