[Koha] Use of Amazon reviews etc illegal?

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue Feb 23 04:38:18 NZDT 2010

Owen asked:
> If so this explicitly contradicts what Joshua Ferraro was told by
> Amazon.com when Amazon functionality was first being formally
> integrated into Koha. I remember a mailing list post on the subject
> but now I can't find it. Does anyone else remember? A starting point
> for finding the answer to this would be find out under what terms
> Amazon content use *was* allowed.

Are you sure you're not thinking of what Joshua Ferraro reported
from Amazon when I asked whether Opensearch was patented?
See http://lists.koha.org/pipermail/koha-devel/2005-July/005341.html

(FTWCA history: I aksed because Amazon are notorious patenters of web
shop software features and nothing explicitly said opensearch was
patent-free.  The result of the direct question was never posted
AFAICT.)

I found a 2008 terms update in
http://lists.koha.org/pipermail/koha-devel/2008-March/007358.html and
I suspect that Amazon can change the terms of use whenever they wish.

For some reason, software.coop only ever enabled the Amazon features
if our client accepted the risk of that action - so are you sure that
use was ever clearly allowed?

Hope that helps,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  Webmaster and LMS developer at     | software