[Koha] 3.2 alpha tagged in Git

Galen Charlton gmcharlt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 15:15:52 NZDT 2010

Hi,

I have tagged v3.02.00-alpha in Git, thereby kicking off the alpha
period for 3.2.  The corresponding DB revision is 3.01.00.111; I'll
switch the DBrev to 3.02.00.000 for the beta.  I will prepare a
tarball tomorrow.

At this point, 3.2 is feature complete and development should now be
in pure bugfixing mode.  Only the following types of patches will be
accepted for inclusion in 3.2, starting now:

* bugfixes
* translations, including a mechanism to translate the new system
preference editor
* documentation improvements
* necessary forward ports to preserve enhancements that were added to
3.0.x but which were not submitted to HEAD.

I reserve the release manager's prerogative to bring in a few more
minor enhancement patches that have already been submitted, and also
reserve the right to add in one more enhancement I promised a library
- permitting bibs to be cataloged without requiring any use or
generation of authority records.  However, if that should prove too
unstable, I will not consider that last enhancement a blocker for the
general release of 3.2.

At this point, my criteria for moving to beta are as follows:

* all HEAD and 3.2 blocker bugs are resolved, recategorized, or
intentionally targeted for 3.4.
* we have proof of a clean upgrade path from 3.0.0 to 3.2.0.
* we have proof of a clean upgrade path from 3.0.5/6 to 3.2.0 -
because of the numerous functionality enhancements in the 3.0.x
series, this upgrade path is definitely distinct from the path
originating in 3.0.0.
* we have a completely clean pass of all test cases on (at least) Debian Lenny.

Regarding management of branches in git.koha.org repository, I intend
to start a 3.2.x branch and have bugfixes patches flow from HEAD to
3.2.x.  I recommend that patches meant for inclusion in 3.4 be applied
to a new 3.4-future topic branch, but leave final word on that up to
Chris.

Translators can consider a soft string freeze to be in effect - string
changes to fix en-US typos will be accepted, but by and large strings
should now be stable.

I'm working on full release notes, but notable improvements in 3.2
include but are not limited to:

* A revamped acquisitions module
* An improved system preference editor
* Improved patron card and item label creator
* email checkout slips
* branch transfer limits
* support for Syndetics, LibraryThing, and Babeltheque enhanced content
* improvements in Koha's ability to express circulation policies

As with any alpha release, 3.2-alpha is *not* recommend for use in a
production environment.

Regards,

Galen
--