[Koha] New Arrivals display in OpacMainUserBlock?

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Sat Dec 11 02:48:45 NZDT 2010

> NPL has done this and Owen wrote up a blog post about how he went
> about doing it:
>
> http://www.myacpl.org/koha/?p=74

I did that write-up because people often asked me how we did it on our
web site. However, I hesitate to point people to it because it's a
complicated solution. It involves maintaining a non-Koha database to
track the new titles and a web application infrastructure for handling
adds, deletions, and display.

The reason we went to all this trouble is that we didn't want to
highlight every new title, just selected titles which we thought would
be of interest to our readers.

If you could take the result of a Koha search and embed them in your
site you might be able to come close. But some questions remain:

All new titles? The biblio table tracks creation date of biblio
records using the 'dateadded' field, but the OPAC search doesn't have
access to that. You can sort by acquisition date, but that looks at
the date *item* records were created, so if you add a single copy to
an old biblio record that record will pop to the top of your results.

To me it's a complicated matter, but maybe I'm just too picky about it.

  -- Owen

--
Web Developer
Athens County Public Libraries