[Koha] OCLC Record Matching Rule

Ian Bays ian.bays at ptfs-europe.com
Tue Aug 10 02:03:59 NZST 2010

Hi Nicole, Savitra,

 From what I have discovered about the search indexing there are two
configuration files that have an impact on this.  The actual term that
you search for will be defined in "ccl.properties" and the file
"record.abs" tells the zebra indexing what data to extract from the MARC
data.

So conceptually record.abs tells zebra how to fill the search index and
ccl.properties tells you what you can search for.

Ideally both files should tell a similar story but it is not always so.
If a field is in record.abs but not in ccl.properties it will be in the
search index files but you will not be able to search on it, and
conversely if it is in ccl.properties but not in record.abs you will be
able to search on it but there will be no data indexed.

I have used "Control-number" in record matching rules which maps to the
001 MARC tag successfully.
Some searchable tags can be called a nuber of different things - for
instance you can search for au, aut or Author all of which equate to
author name.  The following is from delivered ccl.properties:

#Author-name          1003  A personal or corporate author, 100, 110,
111, 400
#                           or a conference or meeting      410, 411,
700, 710,
#                           name.  (No subject name         711, 800,
810, 811
#                           headings are included.)
Author 1=1003 s=pw
au Author
aut 1=1003

So if you are setting up a Record Matching Rule and you want to see if
the index you choose works then you can search in the simple search box
for (eg):

Control-number="123456"
or
Control-number:123456
or similar.  If it does not work for data you know to be there then
check that record.abs puts the data into the search index and
ccl.properties enables you to search on it.

I have not used a Normalization rule - sorry.

I hope this is helpful.
Ian