[Koha] Upgrade from Koha 3.00.00 to 3.0.6

Chris Cormack chrisc at catalyst.net.nz
Mon Aug 2 17:10:44 NZST 2010

* Susan Mustafa (susan.mustafa at gmail.com) wrote:
>    Chris,
>
>    I really am sorry to bother you with my many questions, but I would hope
>    that you can clarify something for me.
>
>    At the moment, my company is using only open-source software applications,
>    such as OpenSIS, Koha, OpenERP, etc.
>
>    The problem is, we got all those except Koha from Vendors [To match our
>    requirements/Modifications]
>
>    To further complicate things, the company wants to keep up with the
>    updates and upgrades that source forge produces.
>
>    How do I do all this?
>
>    From what I understood, you are saying connect to the central git,
>    checkout a [development branch-where I can continue to make further
>    modifications to without the need to commit], and once an upgrade comes,
>    then I will try to MERGE my [development branch] + [central GIT].

Ideally you wouldn't need to make local modifications, and if you did
you would do them with a system preference and then you could send
patches upstream for inclusion into Koha.

But if you want to have local changes that are never submitted upstream,
you would clone the git repository from git.koha-community.org. Make a
branch for your local changes, make changes, commit them to that branch,
merge or rebase from the relevant upstream branch (in your case
rel_3_0).

Git is a distributed version control system, so you can commit locally,
it is only when you push or send patches, that your changes move from
being local.

>    Now for Koha - you are saying this is easier if I do a [Development
>    Install, rather than the recommended Production install]

If you intend to do local development, then a development install is the
way to go. If you intend to instead just upgrade with each new release,
then a standard install is the way to go.

>    Am I understanding your point, or am I way off?
>
>    I really wish I can read some resources out there that explain how to do
>    client modifications to opensource projects and still be up-to-date with
>    whatever the central repository has.  Any articles/websites would greatly
>    benefit me?

The best read for that is
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Version_Control_Using_Git
and
http://www.myacpl.org/koha/?p=558

Hope this is some help, jump onto irc sometime #koha on
irc.katipo.co.nz, I'm around on there a bit and I can show you some
practical examples.

Better yet, if you can manage to make it to the developer conference
part of kohacon (http://www.kohacon10.org.nz) we will be covering a lot
about how to use git effectively.

Hope this helps

Chris