[Koha] receiving magazines / serials with barcodes but NO item records

Kurt Bodling kbodling at mountvernon.org
Sat Apr 3 09:59:01 NZDT 2010

Is it possible to barcode magazines when they are received in the
Serials module in a way that does NOT create a new item record for each
issue received?

If I create a subscription and do NOT check the box "Create an Item
record when receiving this serial" then there seems to be no place to
enter a barcode when I go to "Receive" a new issue.

If I create a subscription and check the box "Create an Item record when
receiving this serial" then there is a place to enter a barcode because
the add Item record screen appears after the issue is marked "Arrived."
But we don't want to create a new Item record.

Barcoding a weekly publication upon receipt would create 52 item records
a year.  And some of our serials began publication in the 1800s.
Either way, I don't believe we should have to clutter up the OPAC
results screen with hundreds of item records under a bib record for a
single serial title.

Is there a way to suppress the display of those item records created
when issues are received?

Or, again, is it possible to barcode magazines when they are received in
the Serials module in a way that does NOT create a new item record for
each issue received?

Merci,

Kurt A. Bodling

Technical Services Librarian