[Koha] FW: Re: Free MARC UTILITIES Editor

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Thu Apr 1 07:46:46 NZDT 2010

On 31 March 2010 19:27, Cab Vinton <bibliwho at gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone tried out the PTFS utility yet?
>
> Does add any value over Terry Reese's super-amazing MarcEdit program?

Ive given it a whirl ... getting past the big form to fill in to
download it was the hardest part of getting it to run. So thats a plus
:)

It does run under wine on linux, mostly, and it seems to do pretty
much the same tasks as MarcEdit.

I'd use it in a shot if it was open source (rather than built on open
source (it's perl, uses Marc::Record etc)). Because I could then port
it to using gtk or another UI library (it would then run natively on
linux), or incorporate some of it's functionality in Koha.

As it stands, it has a very similar feature set to MarcEdit, seems a
bit faster to run. But them both being freeware not free software is
the kicker for me.

Chris