[Koha] Using KOHA for textbooks?

David Schuster dschust1 at tx.rr.com
Fri Oct 30 03:13:51 NZDT 2009

Ah textbooks.

I've pondered this as well - and Plano ISD, Plano Texas is looking at this
as well.  Here are a few of my thoughts.

Depending on the number of textbooks you have will impact system
performance.  Currently when you have more than say 200 books on a
particular title record - when you go to check them out it may take a whole
minute for that transaction.  I was very excited about moving the items off
the biblio record for circ transactions as that is what is slowing this down
drastically.  I understand that may have been moved to 3.4 release now?

Duedates - that's something I have on my development list to ponder.  I
would like to be able to set a specific duedate for specific item types.
Currently if you set a global duedate it is for EVERYTHING.  We currently
check out curriculum materials to teachers but the best we can do for a
whole year checkout is 365 days or change it monthly.  Neither is the best
solution.  What I would like is on the item type for say PROFessional or
CURriculum itype instead of days have an option for days/duedate.  Where you
could put in 45 or 2010/05/18 so it could be 45 days or May 18th of 2010.
With Textbooks there are 45 day checkouts, semester checkouts, yearly
checkouts so all of that would have to have different item types.

Not to mention how would you get all of those items added to your system ONE
AT A TIME unless you have them barcoded and can export them from another
system.

I know we have some specific textbook functionality under consideration for
development but I am not sure what that development spec looks like as I
have not been in on those meetings.

Sincerely,

David Schuster
Library Technology Coordinator