[Koha] Liblime, Koha, BibLibre and FLOSS

Colin Campbell colin.campbell at ptfs-europe.com
Mon Oct 26 23:54:17 NZDT 2009

On 10/26/2009 10:22 AM, MJ Ray wrote:

> Erm, yes it does.  The first body paragraph of
> http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/agpl-3.0.html says:
>
>    "The GNU Affero General Public License is a free, copyleft license
>    for software and other kinds of works, specifically designed to
>    ensure cooperation with the community in the case of network server
>    software."
>
> Note "ensure cooperation" there on line three.  As one can see, the
> AGPL is "specifically designed" around that absurd idea, which should
> worry everyone.
Apologies for my loose phrasing and word blindness (major sins I admit
when discussing licences). My point was it does not say "you must
co-operate" it does try to ensure that the freedoms guaranteed by the
GPL are not circumvented by the means of distribution of the software.
The important thing is that the users of the software are ensured of the
rights to view, modify and distribute the program. Those freedoms are
fundamental to our work and we need to look closely at how to ensure them.
Colin
--
Colin Campbell
Software Engineer, PTFS Europe Limited