[Koha] First things first for a Koha foundation

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Wed Oct 14 23:00:03 NZDT 2009

rafael.antonio at sapo.pt asked:
> I understand that it will be dificult to get a full agreement all over
> the world. Could we try to find some regional interest groups and grow
> for a worldwide foundation ? In Europe, France and UK have already
> dynamic and interested people. May be we could join to discuss all
> these subjects anywhere in Europe (Lisbon has a good weather...)

Well, we could have regional chapters, but forming and running KohaLA,
KUDOS, KSF, software.coop (yes, we are open to new members, but are
developer-only and not Koha-specific, so it's not automatic and we
probably have to exist anyway for other reasons) and other distinct
groups in each area is wasting our supporters' time and money in
needless administration.

In one of the recent polls, networking local associations (such as
KUDOS, KohaLA) was supported by 12 out of 18 voters, 66.67%, placing
it 8th on the list.  I've yet to analyse the other survey.

As I understand it, I actually agree with LibLime on this one: a
worldwide 'hub' user group that has regional chapters would give the
community much more control in a variety of ways and would provide a
'structure' without requiring all chapters to pay administration
overheads.

Hope that helps,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  LMS developer and webmaster at     | software