No subject

Wed Nov 11 03:01:06 NZDT 2009

. it sounds like an RFC Wrangler is just what is needed. To build on Nicola=
s' idea.... I see that person (or persons) as someone who wouldn't =
have an investment in any particular development path or particular feature=
 but have the limited role of ensuring that an agreed-upon workflow develop=
ed, known to all, and is followed.<div>

seful RFCs and how to submit them. =A0Then when they are properly submitted=
, the RFC Wrangler ensures they are properly vetted by developers and sent =
back to the community or users and/or people who wrote the RFC for more wor=
k, more comment, minor adjustments, etc.</div>

eps the developers in control, and doesn&#39;t add unwanted bureaucracy int=
e">

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 8:45 AM, Paul Poulain <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:paul.poulain at biblibre.com">paul.poulain at biblibre.com</a>&gt;</sp=
an> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;=
border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

disclaimer : english is not my mother-language. Apologize for any<br>
frenchism, and, please, don&#39;t be offended by any term/word/sentence tha=
t<br>
may look aggressive: It&#39;s a mistake.<br>
Hello world,<br>
I&#39;ll try to answer everyone question/comments in this mail.<br>
* about the timing and the discussion : I made this discussion happend.<br>
I started to speak of our problems/questions/doubts/fears/needs/feelings<br=

on koha-devel mailing lists months ago (see &quot;BibLibre strategy for Koh=
a<br>
3.4 and next version&quot; thread, june, 2nd), tried many times to start<br=

(maybe I missed to be clear enough), and was really thinking that<br>
kohacon was THE place to speak of this, because we all would be here.<br>
Frankly, that&#39;s the only reason why hdl came (well, he was also happy t=
o<br>
meet ppl, but we are overwhelmed by stuff, so...) Chris was thinking<br>
that we already had too much discussions during the 1st part of the<br>
kohacon, and wanted to help newbies. He organised the conference, so I<br>
let him choose, hoping he would understand how important it was to me.<br>
At the end, he understood and on sunday morning aknowledged to speak of<br>
this. No shadow or hidden or anything bad (frankly speaking MJ, your<br>
suspiciousness is really &lt;&lt;don&#39;t know which word to say here. Don=
&#39;t want<br>
to offend, but let me just say it&#39;s hard to feel like guilty of<br>
something bad&gt;&gt;)<br>
* about the content of the discussion : what I/BibLibre want(ed) to<br>
point was that WE (the community) HAVE A PROBLEM. Believe me or not, but<br=

we have one, and we must deal with it !<br>
Let me explain what I think by taking some examples:<br>
* on oct, 2009, Nicolas Morin wrote a mail about Lyon3 sponsored new<br>
features on circulation &amp; announcing RFCs. NO-ONE, answered this mail.<=
br>
NO-ONE argued. We had/have a contract. So we did the job. That&#39;s a<br>
problem : all our customers are now live with those features. But we<br>
don&#39;t know if they will be accepted in the main trunk, because no-one<b=
r>
said &quot;ok, let&#39;s do it, from a strategic/feature/technical point of=
 view,<br>
it&#39;s where the Koha project want to go&quot;.<br>
* last month, we sent a mail about moving to solR. Another sponsored<br>
work (thanks St Etienne). Some have answered. BUT : no decision has been<br=

taken. I don&#39;t mean here saying &quot;ok, BibLibre, we will integrate y=
our<br>
work without looking at how you did it&quot;, but no-one has said &quot;OK,=
BibLibre, it&#39;s where the project want to go, your arguments are fine,<b=
r>
there is only one problem with z3950 server that seems to be solvable.<br>
If it is solved, this streategic decision is taken&quot;. We have to go<br>
ahead, and now, if it&#39;s not accepted by the community, our only option<=
br>
will be to fork !<br>
* Last week, I wrote many mails on koha-devel to announce all our<br>
underway RFCs. Maybe you can argue there&#39;s something wrong with what I<=
br>
wrote. The problem is that, once again, no-one has said anything ! So,<br>
what must we do next ?<br>
* Savitra Sirohi wrote detailled RFCs in september. And they look<br>
awesome from a functionnal point of view. hdl asked for some schedules,<br>
got an answer, but I feel it&#39;s not enough. We (community) should work<b=
r>
more closely with him to know sooner if/how the coding is going.<br>
As other companies, we have contracts we must fulfill. But : if &quot;the<b=
r>
community&quot; think RFC-X is a wrong idea, then I&#39;m ready to go back =
to the<br>
customer and say : &quot;well, the community argues it&#39;s a bad idea, co=
uld we<br>
find a solution that would fit everyone needs&quot; ? In fact, i&#39;m sure=
 the<br>
sponsoring library will accept and we will find a solution (mostly<br>
because 1-I trust the community as &quot;wise&quot;. So i think/am sure the=
community won&#39;t reject something unless it&#39;s a bad idea and 2-our<b=
r>
sponsoring libraries understand what is Free Software and won&#39;t want to=
fork!)<br>
SO: we (BibLibre) don&#39;t want a &quot;technical commitee&quot;, what we =
want is to<br>
have a working workflow to manage how things evolve/are improved/...<br>
Our workflow works quite well ... if it goes to the end. But nothing<br>
prevents us from having something falling in a black hole (frenchism<br>
suspected). And we (BibLibre) can&#39;t accept/deal with that. Not sure it&=
#39;s<br>
the correct term but <a href=3D"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite-state_m=
achine" target=3D"_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite-state_machine=
</a><br>
is maybe what I want to express : in our workflow, we can sometimes have<br=

no result to a given starting action.<br>
Something like a technical commitee may fit the need. It may be<br>
something else. It&#39;s just that today, the situation is not sustainable =
!<br>
Our (community) two problems may be summarised by :<br>
* short term problem : our workflow to deal with proposed<br>
contributions/features<br>
* long term problem : the strategic/major orientations of the project<br>
Chris C.: see my comment below (to nicholas rosasco)<br>
David Lang : I hope that you realise the previous lines are the answers<br>
to your answer: announcing is not enough: we did it, and it hasn&#39;t<br>
worked. And more than one time.<br>
Nicolas : I really LOVE your mail ! thanks to jump in the discussion:<br>
 the community with<br>
&gt; authority or continuing to try to run everything through a whole<br>
&gt; group....?<br>
t to<br>
have a *working* workflow . Maybe a subset could be more efficient with<br>
authority. Maybe a subset reporting to &quot;community&quot; could be bette=
r.<br>
Maybe the community can decide everything (but : who is member of &quot;the=
community&quot; ?).<br>
 once a month (just<br>
&gt; to check in) and/or within some set time period of new RFCs coming it =
(as<br>
&gt; in triggered by). =A0The volunteers for this would maintain the RFC li=
st,<br>
&gt; and assign states to things (&quot;needs more info&quot;,&quot;for dis=
cussion&quot;,&quot;in<br>
&gt; progress&quot;,&quot;in code&quot;,&quot;fully incorporated&quot; for =
example). =A0The community can<br>
&gt; then use that state list to drive the overall agenda. =A0This would ma=
ke<br>
&gt; sure nothing gets ignored or forgotten. =A0This should have a Senior a=
nd<br>
&gt; Junior Wrangler identified, who would help keep things focused - but<b=
r>
&gt; would preserve broader community say in things<br>
&gt;<br>
 of<br>
this RFC wrangling committee !)<br>
im to be the next<br>
&gt; release manager very much in advance of the release date... that way, =
the<br>
&gt; general/scheduling discussion can get settled for the next release muc=
h<br>
&gt; sooner - without stressing out the &quot;sitting&quot; release manager=
. =A0Call it the<br>
&gt; &quot;prospective release manager&quot; job, maybe? =A0That way you ge=
t someone who&#39;ll<br>
&gt; be thinking about the long term but who&#39;ll have to live with that =
long<br>
&gt; term in the deliverable sense.<br>
&gt;<br>
o<br>
plan the long-term evolutions of Koha !<br>
--<br>
Paul POULAIN<br>
om</a><br>
Expert en Logiciels Libres pour l&#39;info-doc<br>
Tel : (33) 4 91 81 35 08<br>