[Koha] Zebra indexing question

Biblioteca Casa Balthasar biblioteca at casabalthasar.org
Thu Nov 19 22:43:10 NZDT 2009

It seems like a lot of folks have had similar problems, and we have as well,
and maybe it would help to explain why these problems occur.
 Rebuild_zebra.pl -r deletes all of the files in the Zebra db directories
(such as reci-0.mf) and then recreates them.  Thus, permissions will be
lost, and the files will be owned by the user who ran rebuild_zebra.pl.  If
one rebuilds the zebra indexes as root, the daemons, which typically run
under the user koha, will not be able to update the indexes.  Thus, it's
important then that the zebra rebuilds are put in the cronjob file of the
user koha, and not root.  Also important is that other users, such as root,
don't manually execute rebuilds.

If one desires that another user be able to execute rebuild_zebra.pl, he
should be given the permission to execute 'sudo -u Koha .../rebuild_zebra.pl,'
(if you want to do this, you also have to edit the sudoers file to pass the
PERL5LIB variable with the env_keep option as by default sudo strips away
almost all environment variables).  Or, as root user, one can use a simple
'su koha' and then the rebuild_zebra.pl command.

I've also tried to set the sticky bit on rebuild_zebra.pl, but for whatever
reason it didn't seem to work due to some problem with the PERL5LIB variable
that I wasn't able to figure.  That seems to me the easiest thing to do, if
anybody has any idea how to make it work.  If it worked and were the
default, I think it would help folks to avoid a great deal of the problems
that come up with zebra.

Best regards to all,
Patrick Redmon