[Koha] Barcode nightmare

Agnes Rivers-Moore arm at hanover.ca
Wed Nov 18 05:56:29 NZDT 2009

We have just migrated 6 libraries. Of those 6, three have more than one
variant of barcode, two had 4 types. Really a nightmare!

It took us a lot of SQL and Perl script work by a consultant with those
skills, but it is possible if the size of your collection makes it
worthwhile. If you have a definable range of numbers that can be changed
to one type, that can be done with SQL in the table after import, or by
script editing the 952 fields before import. Better to use the first
option if you want to import and match other circulation or item
information after the MARC records are in.
We also have a clever script that allows us to correct the Koha table by
scanning the barcode, as if we were checking it out - saves the need to
search for each title and edit the items individually. This was custom
work, not part of Koha.

I have copied this message to the consultant who did the work for us...

Agnes

Seth Mayo wrote:
> We are gradually getting everything together to move to Koha from
> Alice.  Many of you will remember that back in July I was trying out
> various library systems and decided that Koha was a great system to
> get on board with.
>
> At this time of the year, the nitty-gritty of the system is going to
> start getting looked at.  I have a few questions to ask regarding the
> system but the most important one is:
>
> Is there a way to force Koha to re-write barcodes on the fly?
>
> Situation...
>
> Our library happens to have two barcode formats on books (long story):
>
> Type 1 Example: R36758W 2560
> Type 2 Example: + 2560 013037 6
>
> There are two problems with this - both having to do with our existing
> system (Alice for Windows) not actually cataloguing the whole barcode.
>
> Apparently when the system was set up, the following is what it was
> set up to do (and thus what we need to achieve in Koha since changing
> the barcodes on all the books is not an option):
>
> Type 1 conversion:  R36758W 2560 has been stored as R36758 (string is
> concatenated)
> Type 2 conversion:  + 2560 013037 6 has been stored as R13037 (string
> is rearranged and concatenated - ie. first 4 characters removed
>
> The letter 'W' in the first type is randomised on the barcodes so
> there is no way of recovering it.  The 'R' in the second type is
> simply added to everything.
>
> Any help with any of this would be appreciated.
>
> Seth Mayo
> IT Technical Manager
> Email:  smayo at stpeters.nsw.edu.au

Agnes Rivers-Moore