[Koha] Barcode scanners known to work well with Koha

Agnes Rivers-Moore arm at hanover.ca
Wed Nov 18 05:03:06 NZDT 2009

Hello Doug

The main points to check are that it connects to your PC conveniently
(can be USB or "keyboard wedge" which means it connects in line with the
keyboard, which is useful with older computers), and that it scans the
barcode type that you are using. As Chris says, if you have a text
editor open and you scan a barcode the number should appear, and if so,
the scanner will 'send' to Koha.
It is a good idea to test some 'used' barcodes if you have any, to see
whether the scanner can read scuffed or slightly wrinkled ones
successfully.
Most scanners are capable of reading several barcode types - there are
many, and the specification should list the ones it can read. You may
need to adjust settings slightly, such as prefix and suffix characters,
or whether you want to send an 'enter' character or not.
We use Unitech, Symbol, and Metrologic. You should be able to find some
models for under 100 pounds.
One more tip - some can be set 'always on' and may come with a stand,
some have triggers under the handle, some have buttons on top, some are
held like a pen. Think about the staff working position before choosing,
as a button in the wrong place can be very awkward to use.

Good hunting!
Agnes

--

Agnes Rivers-Moore