[Koha] UTF 8 encoding

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Thu Nov 5 02:25:41 NZDT 2009

Hi Nitesh,

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 6:02 AM, nitesh rijal <rijal.it at gmail.com> wrote:
> actually this is what  i got when i used UTF8_decode function of PHP
>
> CODE:
> <?php
>     $conn = mysql_connect('localhost','root','healthnet') or die('Could not
> connect to database');
>     $db = mysql_select_db('koha',$conn) or die('Could not select database');
>     $query = mysql_query("SELECT author FROM biblio") or die('Could not
> execute query');
>     $row = mysql_fetch_array($query);
>     echo '<pre>'.$row['author'].'</pre>';
>     echo '<pre>'.utf8_decode($row['author']).'</pre>';
> ?>
>
> Result:
>
> "कारॠकी, यॠवराज सिंह"
>
> "�?ार्�?�?, युवरा�? सि�?ह"
>
> Is there a problem with the search.pl script file???
> I have set up the mysql character set as UTF8 and also the collation in
> phpmyadmin is utf8_general_ci . Isn't this sufficient for the Nepali
> Unicode???
> Nepali is a Devnagari Script, similar to Hindi.

I am not familiar with PHP.

UTF8 setup is a bit tricky. As the wiki link points out, every
component must be set to support UTF8. The OS, MySQL server, MySQL
client, Apache, etc.

There are many libraries in India using Koha successfully. Perhaps one
of them could help you with getting things setup correctly.

Kind Regards,
Chris