[Koha] Storage structure of Koha3 for Marc fields.

Jesse pianohacker at gmail.com
Sun May 31 05:23:38 NZST 2009

2009/5/30 echuang.chew <echuang.chew at gmail.com>

> Greetings,
> Hi Jesse, thanks for your help, I also notice that there are 2 additional
> columns added in biblioitems table to store Marc data.
> Because currently we build our own tools to migrate the Marc data from
> different system to Koha2, but when come to Koha3, there is a storage
> structure changed on how to store Marc data.
> Thus, I am looking for a way on using the marc_xxx data structure in Koha3
> so that the migration tools remain unchanged.
> So, can I conclude that in Koha3, there is no way to using the marc_xxxx
> data structure as in previous version, and the only way to read the marc
> data is from biblioitems table.
> Thanks for help.
> Best Regards,
> eChuang, Chew
> Jesse wrote:
>> 2009/5/29 echuang.chew <echuang.chew at gmail.com <mailto:
>> echuang.chew at gmail.com>>
>>    Greetings,
>>    I am new to Koha3, after I upgraded my Koha2 to Koha3, notice that the
>>    database design has been changed.
>>    FYI, I am using the non zebra version of Koha3. Can anyone tell me is
>>    Koha3 still using marc_XXXX tables to stored the marc fields ?
>>    Or is it any configuration to be done so that Koha3 will still
>>    using the
>>    marc_XXXX for storing marc fields ?
>>    Can anyone please help me ?
>>    Best Regards,
>>    eChuang, Chew
>> Koha 3 actually stores the MARC data quite differently, as a data blob in
>> the biblioitems.marc and biblioitems.marcxml tables. This is not
>> configurable.
>> Note that to get NoZebra search working, you do have to run
>> misc/migration_tools/rebuild_nozebra.pl , to update the search indexes.
>> --
>> Jesse Weaver
If you're migrating to Koha 3 from 2.2, it might be easier to follow this
guide: http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=22_to_30

Also, Koha does have built-in tools for importing MARC data that have
improved considerably since the 2.2 days; you might want to consider using
them if your data isn't too wacky. Inserting data directly into the
biblio/biblioitems/etc. tables can be rather error prone.

Jesse Weaver