[Koha] Adding your own book covers to koha

Suchetha Wijenayake suchetha at gmail.com
Fri May 22 19:28:39 NZST 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 12:23 AM, Eric Bégin <Eric.Begin at inlibro.com> wrote:
> [...]
> current implementation is using <biblionumber>.jpg for a cover thumbnails.
> In the detail page, the thumbnail is also an url link to the original cover,
> also named <biblionumber>.jpg, but in a different directory.
>
> Right now, the link to the .jpg is hardcoded, however, our plan is to extend
> this feature in order to link to a file which the extension will be
> specified in a system preference.  In your case, that system preference
> could refer to a .html file containing the cover, content page and
> backcover.  This html file could even be a templated file using some
> specific directory (/cover, /content, /backcover) for its content.
>
> Could this feature set be usefull in your case?
>
> Hopefully, I should be able to check that in in the next few days.
>
> Eric
>
> Suchetha Wijenayake wrote:
>
> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Nicole Engard
> <nicole.engard at liblime.com> wrote:
>

> Sounds like something others have asked for - but not something that
> is easily doable.  I'd recommend a development project that allows
> people to upload their own book content after cataloging ... so that
> this kind of data can be stored in the database.
>
> ---
>
> Nicole C. Engard
> Open Source Evangelist, LibLime
> (888) Koha ILS (564-2457) ext. 714
> nce at liblime.com
> AIM/Y!/Skype: nengard
>
> http://liblime.com
> http://blogs.liblime.com/open-sesame/
>

> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 7:24 AM, Suchetha Wijenayake <suchetha at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> Hello all.
>
> I am setting up koha for a developmental organisation here in Sri
> Lanka (you may have heard of the country, its been in the news a few
> times lately).
>
> They have a rather large collection of technical books that they have
> published, and they want to put the covers on the koha DB so that
> people can know what the book SHOULD look like.
>
> They also want to put the back cover and contents page(s) up in the same
> way.
>
> I have looked high and low for an efficient way of doing this, and I
> am at wit's end. Most places recommend using Amazon covers, but there
> is no chance the books will be on AMZN (self-published and all that
> dontcherknow).
>
> So where do I go from here? Does anyone have any ideas? Or has anyone done
> this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Suchetha
>
> --
> Check my photo album:
> http://picasaweb.google.com/suchetha
>
> Rants Raves and Miscellaneous Musings:
> http://raramimu.blogspot.com
>
> Why do I smell brimstone? And what am I doing in this hand-basket?
>

> I was afraid of that.
> since my perl-fu is nonexistent, does anyone have a recommended
> workaround? I can handle PHP (though i haven't hacked PHP code in

that sounds very much like we're trying to do indeed. what I was
looking at was modifying the MARC record (something in the 900 set
would work i think). And I think the biblio number would be best,
since there are multiple sub-libraries who are using different call
numbers (the number i originally used to identify the cover.)

so i guess the next step is i have to figure out a way to get a record
and put as part of the output.

I am still learning here, so if anyone would care to point me in the
right direction it would make life many levels easier

atb

Suchetha