[Koha] Experience with Koha offline

Susan Bennett susan.bennett at geaugalibrary.info
Sat May 16 01:14:23 NZST 2009

Yes, we do use the offline circ for our Bookmobile.
We're generally happy with it but there are a few things to be careful of.
Mostly related to making sure the data file that you upload to Koha is
correct. If the patron barcodes are wrong checkouts get assigned to a null
patron. When this happens you have to fix it with a SQL query replacing the
null patron with a "real" patron. Also sometimes the barcode scanner misses
a few digits on a item barcode so we look for that in the file before we
upload.

The other issue is that you need to be a superlibrarian to upload the files.
This has caused some issues since I would not normally give library staff
those premissions. Of the close to 200 staff at GCPL only 4 of us had
superlibrarian permissions before we started using the offline circ program.
I've had to add those permissions to 3 more staff just so they can do the
uploads.

Susan Bennett
ILS System Administrator
Geauga County Public Library