[Koha] Anyone using tag clouds?

Kathy Rippel kdr at ckls.org
Fri May 8 03:50:13 NZST 2009

I can think of some application of tagging that would help me in my
professional capacity, so I would definitely be interested in being
able to assign tags. I would prefer it to be on the items screen, for
ease, but realize it may make more sense to be on the biblio detail
screen, like the LISTS and HOLD buttons.

Kathy

  At 07:01 AM 5/7/2009, Nicole Engard wrote:
>I don't know if anyone is doing this, but I have had librarians
>express an interest in being able to add tags using the Koha tagging
>tools at the cataloging level.  They want this for 2 reasons.
>
>1st - they have some non-authorized terms they want to apply to books
>as the librarian and don't want to have to go in and add them via the
>OPAC
>
>2nd - they find that patrons aren't tagging much and figure that by
>adding tags themselves it might jump start some interest - or at least
>provide tags for people to browse via the tag cloud.
>
>In both cases they're not talking about using the 690 - but the
>tagging mechanism that is in Koha so that things show in the tags list
>and the tag cloud.
>
>---
>
>Nicole C. Engard
>Open Source Evangelist, LibLime
>(888) Koha ILS (564-2457) ext. 714
>nce at liblime.com
>AIM/Y!/Skype: nengard
>
>http://liblime.com
>http://blogs.liblime.com/open-sesame/
>

>2009/5/7 Nelson Fredsell -CCE <nelson at cfce.org.za>:
> > Hi everyone,
> >

> > Is anyone using the tag / tag cloud feature for cataloguing
> purposes?  We're
> > considering the use of tags during the catalogue process, to allow use of
> > additional subject/keyword material not part of MARC and Z39.50.
> >

> > I'm aware that 690 would allow us to put in local Subject assignments,  and
> > the cataloguer could enter the 690 AFTER a Z39.50 search.  The problem we
> > have is that we think we'd like to enter 690 BEFORE the Z39.50 search.  I
> > say BEFORE, because we'd map proprietary Subjects and Keywords during our
> > initial migration from the legacy system, then slowly as we have time run
> > z39.50 searches on all our records.
> >

> > If  you're happily using tags for cataloguing, I'd appreciate a
> link to your
> > OPAC so that I could see what this actually looks like in Koha.
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Nelson

Kathleen D. Rippel
Dept. Head/Consultant--Resource Sharing and Access ;
Pathfinder Central (Manager)
Central Kansas Library System
1409 Williams
Great Bend, KS 67530

(620-792-4865) phone
(800-362-2642) toll-free, KS
(620-792-5495) fax

kdr at ckls.org
I'm currently reading: Destroyer, by C. J. Cherryh
I'm currently listening to: Ain't She Sweet, by Susan Elizabeth Phillips.