[Koha] IndependentBranches & SingleBranchMode

Joe Atzberger ohiocore at gmail.com
Wed May 6 04:14:27 NZST 2009

We'll use branchcodes AAA and BBB for Libraries A and B.  Then we'll create
patron types that we associate arbitrarily with those libraries:

AAA_Adult
BBB_Adult
AAA_Staff
BBB_Staff
AAA_Kid
BBB_Kid
BBB_Other

Now AAA sets circulation rules specifying for each BBB_* patron type that
their checkout limit for default itemtype is 0.  BBB does the same for AAA_*
types.

Alternatively, they could define their own rules and make the rule for
Default patron type be 0.  Then they don't have to create a new rule when
BBB adds a patron type.  In that case, they have to be sure they defined all
the ones they need though, and that their own user data is fully populated.
You can do this with or without IndependentBranches.

One hazard you might run into is if the membership rules allow users to get
library cards at both institutions, then a user might have to get a bunch of
cards as different versions of themself, and the true view of their activity
will be fractured.

--
Joe Atzberger
LibLime - Open Source Library Solutions