[Koha] FRBR & Koha?

Joe Atzberger ohiocore at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 03:21:51 NZDT 2009

Hi Savitra --

Please detail which kind of FRBR you intend to pursue: weak (i.e. related
works), something stronger or "complete".  From what I understand, the level
of detail needed for total FRBR would challange the representational
capacity of *any* ILS in existence.

There was a lot of talk about FRBR at the recent code4lib convention.  The
last diagram I saw had four levels to a "strong" implementation: Work,
Expression, Manifestation and Item.  And then it got crazy for what
"complete" would look like.  The (large) PDF from this year's talk on this
issue, "What we talk about when we talk about FRBR" is here:
<goog_1236968080767>www.code4lib.org/files/frbr_code4lib09.pdf

It seems like we would do best to implement additional related works
connectors for external data like LibraryThing, and especially FreeBase.
The PDF from the Freebase presentation is here:
www.*code4lib*.org/files/*freebase*.pdf<http://www.code4lib.org/files/freebase.pdf>

I'll leave the ornate highly-differentiated data modeling to academics (or
external sources) for now.

--Joe