[Koha] Wayfinding maps based on collection code (location)

Darrell Ulm darrellulm at smfpl.org
Wed Mar 4 05:20:36 NZDT 2009

Galen Charlton <galen.charlton at ...> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Darrell Ulm <darrellulm at ...> wrote:
> > I am looking for suggestions for ways that would be acceptable to the Koha
> > coding community as far as where to store the data and where to link it.
> > It would seem one could enter link data using the existing authorized values.
> > In other words, create a new authorized type “maplinks” then allow Koha
> > administrators to put in any content they want much like the existing icon
> > system.
>
> +1 to building in support for library maps.
>
> Defining a new authorized value is certainly a possible approach, and
> has the advantage of being fairly easy to do, but I would favor a more
> indirect approach that looks at a combination of relevant item fields
> (library, collection code, shelving location, and first part of call
> number, for example), then compares that combination against a mapping
> table set up by the Koha administrator to determine which map to
> display.  That way, the building map feature can be used without
> requiring a global change to the item records to add a new authorized
> value.
>
> Regards,
>
> Galen

Yes, I agree. The (lib, ccode, loc, call) will come into play in most
libraries and certainly all large systems.

The call number could be a *range* in order to show which shelf the item is
located.

Not involving the Itype would be good since it is always smart to avoid
unneeded complexity for catalogers.

So are you suggesting a new small table? That would work of course.
A question concerning how the images would be loaded. I suppose if images
were linked using authorized values, they could be dumped into a directory
and then moved around as needed by the Koha admin. There may be a way
that makes more sense, any ideas? :)

The intent is to start working on this in April-ish.
Always good to do the design 1st and get the input of the Koha community.

Darrell Ulm