[Koha] MARC fields: server-independent URLs

Sébastien Hinderer Sebastien.Hinderer at snv.jussieu.fr
Thu Jun 25 03:22:58 NZST 2009

Hi Doug and all,

> That is where the Rewrite command comes in.  Check the Apache doc.

I think there is a misunderstanding between us.
I perfectly understand what apache rewrite rules can do, but I do also
believe that, for the problem we are discussing, they can not help.

Assume a bibliographic record present in Koha with no physical copy
attached to it. Then, you, as a librarian, want to attach a file to the
bibliographic record. So you select a format, a filename which is stored
on your hard drive and ready to be uploaded, and you submit all this
information to koha. The file will be stored somewhere on a file server.
The question is: which part of code should be modified so that Koha
generateds atomatically a URL and stores it in a 856$u UNIMARC field of
the bibliographic record.
This URL should be a valid URL which gives the user an access to the
file, perhaps by means of apache rewrite rules.
The question is really: how to do to have KOha modifying the MARC
records to store the right URLs. Moreover, I don't think this can be
done with Koha so the real question is which script or module should I
modify sto achieve such a result.

Cheers,
Séastien.