[Koha] MARC fields: server-independent URLs

Doug Dearden dearden at sarsf.org
Wed Jun 24 04:40:32 NZST 2009

Sebastien,

You can have an 856u field at the biblio level, and this is repeatable.

We have written instructions for the cataloging librarians to use when filling this in.  If your apache config has a line in it like:

Redirect /libfiles http://192.168.0.1/libraryresources

then your librarians enter /libfiles/directory1/directory2/file1.txt

and there is a link in the OPAC to http://192.168.0.1/libraryresources/directory1/directory2/file1.txt

You can also get creative with the Rewrite commands in Apache to do some real fancy stuff with reinterpreting the file names, but I always need to read up on that to get it figured out.

Best,

Doug

>>> Sébastien Hinderer <Sebastien.Hinderer at snv.jussieu.fr> 6/23/2009 2:23 AM >>>
Hey Doug, Joe and all,

Many thanks for two helpful replies.
The apache-based solution indeed seems satisfactory.
Now the next question is: how to generate the right URLs ?
Assume an existing MARC record.
Suppose a librarian wants to attach an additional file to this record.
A form is presented to her where she chooses the right format from a
format list and types in the file to be attached to the record.
Then the MARC record has to be updated with one more URL (e.g. 856$u).
What in Koha would you guys modify to make such a procedure work ?

Many thanks for your help !
Sébastien.