[Koha] Senayan Library Management System: Sorry for the wrongsubmission

gsl gsl at rhcl.org
Thu Jun 18 04:57:46 NZST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "BWS Johnson" <mhelman at illinoisalumni.org>
To: Koha at lists.katipo.co.nz
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 6:13:24 AM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central
Subject: Re: [Koha] Senayan Library Management System: Sorry for the wrongsubmission

Salvete!

------snip--------------

Climate wise I'd rather not drive people off that might be involved in more than one OS project; they're important bridges. "More is different" if we want things to emerge.

>I agree that cooperation with other F/OSS library software projects,
>including ILSs, is a good thing, but I don't think we should be driven
>by a fear of reinventing wheels. Different projects have different

*nod* The pickle of innovation is that it almost has to happen quickly and spontaneously. It's driven by need, so I don't think we should balk for fear of reinventing wheels. However, I do think we should consciously cherry pick good code from other OS projects if it's possible to do so. I know I've wanted to see the deduplication for authorities that I saw at a demonstration about eXtensible Catalogue somehow work its way into Koha.

Planning again: should we have a liaison or liaisons to other OS projects to make us aware of good developments in other people's backyards?