[Koha] Senayan Library Management System: Sorry for the wrongsubmission

BWS Johnson mhelman at illinoisalumni.org
Wed Jun 17 23:13:24 NZST 2009

Salvete!

>The original message was not quite on-topic for this list, which after
>all is primarily for the discussion of Koha, and I second MJ's
>recommendation of CODE4LIB. I also recommend submitting such news to
>http://www.oss4lib.org/. That said, I don't mind if occasional
>announcements of major milestones in other F/OSS ILS projects are
>posted here.

*nod* I'd consider that original post a nice head's up, and I can't
remember the last time someone posted about a new system. It wasn't
quite off topic, either - not about cats or knitting or the like.

Frequency would be the key, I agree, but at maybe once a year, I don't
think that's an issue. I could see checking a person that's routinely
used this forum to post progress frequently about someone else's
project, but that's not what we have here.

Climate wise I'd rather not drive people off that might be involved in
more than one OS project; they're important bridges. "More is different"
if we want things to emerge.

>I agree that cooperation with other F/OSS library software projects,
>including ILSs, is a good thing, but I don't think we should be driven
>by a fear of reinventing wheels. Different projects have different

*nod* The pickle of innovation is that it almost has to happen quickly
and spontaneously. It's driven by need, so I don't think we should balk
for fear of reinventing wheels. However, I do think we should
consciously cherry pick good code from other OS projects if it's
possible to do so. I know I've wanted to see the deduplication for
authorities that I saw at a demonstration about eXtensible Catalogue
somehow work its way into Koha.

Planning again: should we have a liaison or liaisons to other OS
projects to make us aware of good developments in other people's
backyards?

>emphases and there isn't a global consensus on how to build the One
>True ILS. What we should strive for is avoiding *unnecessary*
>wheel-reinventing.

I don't think there will ever be a one size fits all ILS for the planet,
as nice as that notion might be.
That *unnecessary* is very important, and I agree.

Cheers,
Brooke