[Koha] Setting separate URLS for OPAC and Admin Portals

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Sun Jun 14 10:51:51 NZST 2009

Roche III, Edward wrote:

> We would like to use separate URLs for the OPAC and Admin portals
> instead of using different port numbers. I am not an Apache guy so I am
> not sure of the best way to accomplish this. Any pointers or directions
> would great.

You will need two different host names, one for OPAC, one for Admin.

Example, using your email domain:

library OPAC domain: library.solanco.k12.pa.us

library admin domain: admin.solanco.k12.pa.us

Ensure these two domains are added to your domain server.

Once you can see the domains on your LAN or on the open Internet,
edit the Apache config for the virtual hosts, which is
either in /etc/apache2/sites-available/default or
(rarely) /etc/apache2/httpd.conf.

Remove '8080' stuff, keeping both virtual hosts, and ensure the virtual
hosts look something like the following:

# KOHA's OPAC Configuration
<VirtualHost *>
	DocumentRoot /usr/local/koha/opac/htdocs
	ServerName library.solanco.k12.pa.us
   : etc :
</VirtualHost>

# KOHA's INTRANET Configuration
<VirtualHost *>
	DocumentRoot /usr/local/koha/intranet/htdocs
	ServerName admin.solanco.k12.pa.us
   : etc :
</VirtualHost>

Also edit /etc/apache2/ports.conf and remove
the listen on port 8080 as well.

Restart apache and test.

cheers
rickw