[Koha] Koha Trademarks

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Thu Jun 4 22:07:09 NZST 2009

MJ Ray wrote:

> Thanks to international treaties (damn you WTO!), trademark and
> copyright law has slowly moved from the civil law into criminal law.

Well put, MJ. If copyright was solely a tort, jobsworths would be out
of business. But it is easy for corps to lobby and have copyrights moved
into the into realm of criminal law, thereby externalising the expense
of taking legal action to the taxpayer. Corporate welfare. Enuf said.

I could rant on about this for days ... but OT for this list.

> Civil law usually requires action by the trademark holder, whereas
> criminal law only needs some jobsworth in the state to act.

I was curious about "jobsworth".

<http://www.google.com.au/search?q=define%3Ajobsworth> digs these up:

"A jobsworth is a person who uses his or her job description in a deliberately
  un-cooperative way, or who seemingly delights in acting in an obstructive or
  unhelpful manner."

Sounds like a job description for opposition politicians ;)

"Jobsworth is slang for a person who is very pedantic at work."

Yes, I've worked with these types. My response: Get a Life. A Koha Life!

cheers
rickw