[Koha] Koha authentication against existing LDAP directory

Galen Charlton galen.charlton at liblime.com
Thu Jun 4 00:26:00 NZST 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 7:27 AM, Cab Vinton <bibliwho at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can someone provide a newbie summary of what functionality LDAP + Koha
> is supposed to provide? I gather it has something to do with
> authentication, but who's being authenticated for what?

LDAP stands for the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol, and LDAP
directories are often used to store directories of people, including
login information.  Many academic and corporate libraries, and some
public libraries, configure Koha to query an LDAP directory run by the
host institution to authenticate a user to the OPAC rather than having
Koha's patron database be an entirely separate pool of records
describing the same people.

Regards,

Galen
--