[Koha] Authorities difficulties

Galen Charlton galen.charlton at liblime.com
Sat Jul 25 01:48:31 NZST 2009

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Colin
Campbell<colin.campbell at ptfs-europe.com> wrote:
> On 07/24/2009 02:26 PM, Nicole Engard wrote:
>> I'm with you 100% :)  I used to drive my cataloging instructors crazy
>> cause I kept complaining about the stupidity of the punctuation rules.
>>
> UK Marc had no punctuation. e.g. names were entered $aSurname$hFirst
> names instead of $aSurname, First names. Then a few years back the UK
> libraries adopted Marc21 and a lot of programmer time (I speak from
> experience) went into putting back all those #!?@ commas, periods dashes
> etc.

I did the same punctuation-adding back in the day.  While I think it
is a good thing that the number of national MARC content standards got
whittled down as USMARC absorbed UKMARC and CANMARC, it would have
been much matter if MARC21 had adopted more of the good ideas from the
other variants.

Regards,

Galen
--