[Koha] What if mysql stops being around?

Joe Atzberger ohiocore at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 03:43:17 NZST 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Indranil Das Gupta <indradg at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> These last couple of hours, i've been trying to access different
> *.mysql.com sites (for my non-Koha work). None of them responding to a
> http request. I'm not being a fear-monger or crystal gazer here, but
> I'm dependent on MySQL for several apps that i commercially support,
> which includes Koha.
>
> I wonder just how ready or MySQL dependent are we (Koha users) as a
> community, just in case, Oracle decides to stop further work on MySQL?
> I'm aware of efforts like Drizzle. But how are we positioned w.r.t
> MySQL deps and what could hypothetically could be a possible life
> after MySQL (if it ever comes to that)
>
> -indra

The servers are indeed unreachable at present.  I think that is unrelated to
the larger question.

It doesn't matter if Oracle stops working on mysql, the open source
community will still develop it.  Maybe it would fork into a different
project, but there is no risk of mysql "going away".

That being said, the best move towards DB agnosticism for Koha is to
implement an abstraction layer like DBIx::Class.  We are pretty far from
that right now.  In fact, we may be reaching a point where this kind of of
work is so overdue that it is inordinately more difficult to accomplish it.
All the new work is being done without it adds to the task.  And no entity
is yet willing to sponsor this kind of rewrite because it adds no
user-visible features, yet will take literally dozens if not hundreds of
manhours.

--
Joe Atzberger
LibLime - Open Source Library Solutions