[Koha] Stage MARC Records for Import vs. bulkmarcimport

Rachel Hollis Rachel.Hollis at stevenshenager.edu
Wed Jul 15 05:29:02 NZST 2009

I am a cataloging librarian and know very little about anything else. At a previous job, we used BulkMarcImport (BMI) to load nearly all of our records. We used several scripts (perl?) to remove specifically coded subject fields and to set collection/shelving locations. As I remember, the ILS had the matching arguments so that when BMI files were loaded they replaced records according to rules we set up.

There was another way to load bibliographic records and it didn't take quite as long and was similar to Stage Marc Record Import (SMRI) in that it was mouse (button/link) driven. I don't recall precisely but I think that loading record this way did not allow for record matching. Because the records were not run past the scripts, we had to edit these records to remove unwanted data fields.

This week, working with the latest batch of MARC records we receive as part of our service, I consider whether there could be a way to use BMI to load these records setting MARC Frameworks, removing certain subject fields and setting collection/shelving locations. While I realize that my operation is not a big one (only one shelf worth of titles on my cart presently), I find it slows down the process to perform these operations title by title. Is anyone using a process that is more streamlined?

In typing this I realized that I have used Koha long enough (only since October 2008) and I now know it better than the systems that I used for multiple years! :-)

Rachel Hollis, librarian
Stevens-Henager College, Boise Idaho Campus