[Koha] Circulation rules bound to Marc record

Jesse pianohacker at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 08:16:18 NZST 2009

2009/7/11 Nelson Fredsell <nfredsell at bellsouth.net>

>  Hello all,
>

> Our libraries have different circulation rules regarding a different number
> of renewals allowed.  I believe 3 renewals is standard.  However one library
> allows books to be checked out for 8 weeks, with a single renewal allowed
> for 4 weeks.  This seems to present two problems:
>

> 1)      Because number of renewals is bound to the Marc record (942 Item
> type), all libraries must have the same number  of renewals, or multiple
> copies of same holding must be assigned to multiple Marc records.  Please
> tell me there’s a third option!

Well, there is, though it's a bit of a hack. If you turn on the
item-level_itypes system preference, you can assign different item types to
individual items.

> 2)      Renewals must be for the same time period as the initial checkout
> period?

Yes.

> 3)      Holdings must be checked out for a particular number of days,
> apparently, and not according to a calendar system.  eg. books checked out
> on 1 Feb must be returned by/before 1 March.

Koha does have a calendar system, but you have to set it up. The relevant
screen is in Tools -> Calendar.

> Thanks very much.  My main concern is #1 above, as one of the great
> benefits of a union catalogue I imagined was to assign multiple items to the
> same record across multiple libraries, but there was good reason for the 8
> week/4 week rule.  (To complicate matters further, this same library has a
> second set of circulation rules available upon request: 6 month checkout for
> intensive study purposes!  Also, a school library might allow staff to keep
> books out for a longer initial period, but not allow the standard number of
> renewals on that longer period.)

If you turn on the SpecifyDueDate system preference, staff can manually
enter in due dates for an item, which would at least allow extended checkout
periods.

--
Jesse Weaver