No subject

Wed Jan 21 09:14:56 NZDT 2009

Yes, Koha works with a barcode scanner. This is really easy, just plug
in and scan barcodes. <br>
Most barcode scanners come ready to read EAN barcodes, which translate
into the 13 digit ISBN on books published in the last few years. Before
that, the ISBN was not printed in barcode form so a scanner is not a
lot of help for reading the ISBN on older books.<br>
For your library stock you need to create or import a MARC record for
each book to the Koha system, and if you want to use barcodes to check
the books in and out you will also need to stick a printed barcode on
each book, to match the barcode number you assign to each copy (952
field, subfield p) when you create the MARC records. <br>
So in answer to your questions:<br>
1. For newer books, you could use the EAN barcode to search for MARC
records to import from Z39.50 databases you are set up to access. </font><font
 size="+1">See New Record - Z39.50 search, in the Cataloguing function
of Koha, and the cataloguing section of the Koha manual online.<br>
Note that a MARC record is a long and fairly complicated machine
readable book description, much easier to import from another library
database than to create from scratch. However, there are strict
requirements for the proper format and encoding of MARC records that
can be imported to Koha, so you may have to try several Z39.50 sources
to find one that has the book records you need and also imports
successfully.<br>
When you have created a MARC record and saved it, you would then create
an Item record for each copy of that book. This is where you input the
barcode number that your circulation system will use, to match the
barcode label you stick on the book. You can use a scanner to input
that number but you have to fill out all the other parts of the Item
form first, as the barcode scan usually ends with an "Enter" character,
which has the effect of saving your record.<br>
(Likewise when you add students you can create a barcode number for
each student record.)<br>
2. Yes, Koha can find a book using the barcode. <br>
3. I am not aware that you need to do anything in Koha to configure
email. The fines.pl expects that your server has an email server
configured on your server, not within Koha. You would need a much more
technical person to answer how to set up such a server, depending on
your server and operating system.<br>
Best wishes<br>
Agnes<br>
ahtshun83 wrote:
  <pre wrap="">Let me explain briefly how my library operated previously.I do not have any
database to store record of students &amp; books that check out/in. The
librarian will record down each transaction manually on paper.

now I want to use KOHA to record down all these transactions including all
books that I have in my library.

I understand that koha can integrated with barcode scanner to read/input
book barcode into koha

My questions are
1. Can i use barcode scanner to input all the books i have into koha
database or manually input the records?

2. Can koha searching book from barcode input?

3. how to configure email alert for overdue to librarian? I know i need a
cronjob  using fines.pl..where do i configure my mail server info inside
koha?

Hopefully someone can assist me...Thank you!!

  </pre>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--

Agnes Rivers-Moore
Assistant Librarian